The roof is one of the most vital components of your home. It protects you and your belongings from harsh outdoor elements. While many roofing materials today are strong and durable, the time will come when your roof will need replacement.
Roof replacement can do a lot of things for your home. But because it’s a significant investment, many homeowners tend to delay or avoid them completely. Why is prompt roofing replacement essential? Pawcatuck Roofing Co., Inc. Company, a top-rated roofing contractor, lists some of the things that could go wrong if you delay roof replacement.
- Leaks – Leaks typically occur when the protective barrier of roofing materials starts to deteriorate. Water can seep into your walls, weaken your home’s foundation, mess with your electric wiring and even cause accidents when not addressed immediately. Signs of a leaking roof include brown stains on the ceiling or walls, or moisture or puddles forming in unexpected places.
- Reduce Energy Efficiency: Poor roofing tends to reduce its ability to hold heat during the winter. Over the years, moisture can get trapped between the shingles and roof deck and cause the wood to rot, warp or mold. This reduces overall energy control. Roof leaks can also cause attic insulation to clump, hold in water, or get compressed. That significantly reduces its ability to do its job – effective insulation.
- Mold And Mildew – Anytime moisture gets into your home, there is a chance that unhealthy mold and mildew can begin to form. People who suffer from allergies or other types of respiratory issues could experience trouble breathing or other related health problems.
- Pest Infestations – Another potential hazard of having a faulty roof is pest infestations. Insects, including termites, fire ants, cockroaches, and beetles, can all cause severe structural damages. Other unwelcome guests could include mice, fleas, raccoons, and squirrels.
- Structural Damage – A severely damaged roof waiting to be replaced can pose various safety risks. The longer the delay, the more likely your home may suffer issues that compromise its structural integrity. Also, water finding its way into electrical systems increases the risk of a house fire. Any of these possibilities can jeopardize your family’s safety, so it is in your best interest to avoid these at any cost through a roof replacement.
- Increased Bills: Failure to replace your roof can end up costing you more money in the long run. Investing in frequent repairs will certainly add up. You may also end up paying a lot more each month for your energy usage. Since the same leaks that let water in will also let air escape, your home’s HVAC system will work overtime to keep your home comfortable — resulting in higher bills than necessary.
- Lower Property Value – An aging roof does not only look bad; it is sure to perform poorly as well. Both of these things can turn potential home buyers off, so you’ll likely find it difficult to sell your home at your desired price. And even if you manage to sell it, the buyer might require you to replace your roof anyway, so you might as well have it fixed before putting your home on the market.
Your home and roof are big investments – you should leave them in the hands of a company you can trust. Pawcatuck Roofing Co., Inc. Company is a GAF Master Elite® Certified installer and has been in the roofing contractor business since 1946. Whether your home needs a simple roofing repair or a brand new roof installation, we can help. Call (860) 940-2343 or complete our online request form for your free, no-obligation consultation. We serve clients in New London, CT.